Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I don't know that I'm ready to deal with Streisand yet. Though "What's Up, Doc" is now out on disc. That might be the last thing she did that I unequivocally liked.

Cabaret is a heck of a movie. I agree that Minelli takes things up a notch by her two-layered performance, turning Sally from a character who is the standard Auntie Mame theater bigger-than-life goddess into a woman who doesn't seem to know herself and prefers to view her own illusions. It's super-effective for the film because it makes a perfect bridge to a country that refuses to see itself as it really is, all building up to the finale of the song "Cabaret" that is not the celebration of life that it pretends to be, but a creepy and ineffective denial of the darker things that, unanswered, will soon overwhelm the club and places like it. I saw the movie in college and I still remember that final shot of the nazis' twisted reflection.

It was also a brave film in its time, with its subtle suggestion that throwing flowers and peace signs around and telling yourself you're really hip and together when you aren't.

I'm not sure how it fits our purposes here, but it is a good film. I should probably watch it again. (I am also tickled that it covers exactly the same period as Sound of Music. I want Maria and Sally to meet.)

Another suggestion to add to the list is Farscape, probably one of the most female-heavy SF series ever. And since it is essentially a four-and-a-half year love story between its two leads, it hs some stuff to say about that, too.

I agree that Miss Piggy makes a good choice. But what do we do with the fact that she's played by a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment