Monday, August 16, 2010

Bwahahaa

I am just basking (sp?) in my Mulan victory right now.

Nick and I have started watching all those movies that people are supposed to see but we haven't. So far I am not sure what it would add to our purposes, except that Liza Minelli is pretty freaking amazing in Cabaret. I wasn't crazy about the movie, but I loved her.

Of course, the movie version of Sally Boyles kind of paints her as a lot weaker than she paints herself to be, but that vulnerability makes her decision to get an abortion look like pure true strength vs selfishness or cruelty. Somehow it makes sense to me that the decisions that take the most strength would make a woman look the worst. Like all other female badasses in Disney are the villians. But what Sally does, essentially, is free the man she loves. Is to give up her one chance at normalcy for him AND for herself.

I really loved how the film nuanced the character from the show and I thought Liza was brilliant. In dialogue, Sally is a character who always tells you who she is and Minelli's performance constantly rejects what her own character was saying. Its an effective illustration of sort of easy strength (strong performances, using sex appeal, etc) and strength of character (facing your own numerous flaws, insecurities, etc.).Loved it.

Right now we are mid-way through A Star is Born. We also watched Muppets Take Manhattan- Miss Piggy might be a fun thing to talk about here.

No comments:

Post a Comment