Saturday, October 10, 2009

I think I've told you before-- men are absolutely afraid of women. I think that drives about 90% of male behavior toward women including and especially all the misogyny and (watch me re-connect to our actual point) the way men portray women badly on the screen.

I agree that we ought to watch Jennifer's Body-- I find the reviews intriguing, too. However, I suspect that the level of blood and gore is way beyond what my poor old sensibilities can tolerate. So, I don't know about that one.

I see you've been watching Murder, She Wrote. I hadn't ever really thought about Jessica Fletcher as a feminist icon, but now I think I'm going to mull that one over. I watched it sporadically in my youth, though the casting of the California coast as Maine along the with the weirdly elastic nature of Cabot Cove's small towniness were always a distraction (is it bad that my enjoyment of these things is so often interrupted by minor features of the narrative).

She's single, independent, has at least two men pursuing her in the course of the series. Though of course all of the coupley subtext is treated in the standard "people over forty are basically dry and sexless" manner of twenty-six year old television executives who still can't bear to think of their parents getting naked together. But her lack of a partner is not treated as any sort of ongoing deficit in her life; she's not Mary Richards.

No comments:

Post a Comment