Friday, October 9, 2009

Fall TV Ladies

So, in our first attempt to watch To Have or To Have Not, a lasagna exploded (which was definitely not my fault for a fun change). Because of this, I haven't really been pushing to watch it again, but it is on the to do list. Also, we have finally signed up for the beloved Netflix, so I am prepared to respond to any claims about anything, if you give me enough time to work on it.

On a side note, I have been half watching a lot of tv online while I do lots of French translation about the chemical reactions that take place to darken cider. The point of this is that all of the things I am about to list you could go seek out yourself. But, these are some of my early notes on what television is doing with women so far this season. On a side note, I also feel that maybe television has the opportunity to do a better job with women than film, if only because of the privilege of time.

1. Something bad has happened to Pam on The Office. Maybe it is just me, but Pam as the unreachable object of Jim's affection was kind of quiet and subtly awesome. I love that the writers are offering her some upward mobility, but the dynamic between Pam and Jim as a couple goes something like this. Jim makes joke. Pam makes joke about how stupid Jim is. Jim says something sweet about Pam. I am not sure where I am going with this, but Pam actually reminds me of Kate Gosselin, and I think that is weird.

2. Glee- So this show is supposed to be fresh (and I will happily admit I enjoy it), but I feel like the underlying message of this show is that all women are crazy. Different sorts of crazy, endearingly crazy, but crazy all the same. Basically, there are a lot of colorful leads in this show, but the heart of it is two guys, both trying to navigate their women. What about this is fresh?

So, 30 Rock starts up next week again, and we all know that Tina Fey is awesome, but I hope it picks back up from next year.

Two other thoughts (Its been a while since I posted, so i have a bunch of things milling)- We should watch Jennifer's Body. I bet this movie sucks, and you will hate how affected the dialogue is, but I feel like I need to see it, because almost all the reviews I read were basically like "How dare these women think that they can make a movie?" I hate that.

Ok, I promise I will watch my Hawks movies this weekend. It makes me sad that Lauren Bacall doesn't scare Bogey. If my ballroom dance class has taught me anything, its that men are really afraid of women. I like that and I kind of think you should be. I apologize at the sort of frantic/schizophrenic nature of this post, but you have to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment