Saturday, May 29, 2010

Charlie's Angels

I am glad you agree with the thing. I feel like I have to continually prove to you how f-ed up things are, because I am not full of it, women really get the short end of the stick. (By the way, I am writing this blog solely to avoid working on my globalization paper, which is a freaking total mess). I do want to add Ghost World to our list, in case I forgot it, because it really fills the criteria. I also saw a funny article about the test that mentioned that everyone should just watch Gilmore Girls forever, because it shows that women can talk about a whole lot, which I am pretty sure is the truest thing ever.

Ok, as far as Charlie's Angels go, I think it really depends on your definition of strength. I feel like we have been moving around this topic a lot, but that the "weak women" article mighht get to it. I feel like the Charlie's Angels are "strong women" because they are able to be both violent and maintain their status as sexual objects. It's like the Angelina Jolie version of strength, and I have to say as a woman, that really has no appeal to me- it just feels empty. Do you think they are strong women? I mean, I just don't know. I don't think I would ever see their movies a gain, because I refuse to give my money to things that blow up, and I don't think they are particularly well-rounded characters, but at the same time, how many action characters are?

On the same note, they are directed by a disembodied sort of transcendent male figure and travel around with a kooky male sidekick, because it would just be too much for them to be acutally funny. I also remember them being charecterized by their sexual identities- like, Cameron Diaz was sort of innocent, Drew Barrymore was kind spontaneous and had sex with Tom Green (gross), and Lucy Liu kind of oscilated back and forth. I feel like that is tricky. I don't know, you want to give them some credit for being the heroes themselves, but if its a win for women it is only a partial win. That's my take on the whole thing. What do you think? And how much do you think to be considered "strong" does a woman have to take on stereotypically masculine charecteristics (a la Mulan, your favorite Disney movie)?

No comments:

Post a Comment