Saturday, February 16, 2013

Current Viewing

Ok, so I keep putting this off because I know I need to watch Aliens, but I just haven't gotten there yet. I am a bad daughter. Or a bad feminist film viewer. Definitely a bad something.

So I can't say much about Bones, because I have missed that whole thing. If there is no Ice-T and Mariska involved, then I really don't care about crime shows. It's sad they are pulling the classic needing a man and baby trick on her. It's a pretty played out plot line, right? Make a (sort-of) strong female character and then continually show what a fool she is? You know what all of these shows need? Some mother-fucking Murphy Brown. She would destroy them all, though I can't remember much about once she spawned, except that Dan Quayle was pretty upset about it.

Also, I find it funny that this blog is being revived in the midst of your Ally McBeal watching.

Tonight I watched North by Northwest, which is basically a dude movie where a woman is bounced around a bunch for sexual use by the main protagonist and antagonist. I guess the final showdown becomes all about saving the girl, because of course the best she can do for herself is make really obvious faces and mumble about losing an earring. Perhaps not the biggest step for lady kind,  but Hitchcock isn't really known as a protofeminist, right? Anyway, going through the AFI list has been one horrible dude movie after another, but I am almost halfway. Perhaps I will be surprised by some of the things coming up- how is Schindler's List for women? Goodfellas? Pulp Fiction? The history of film is kind of the worst.

I also watched Safety Not Guaranteed, where Aubrey Plaza does her thing, but she is basically the only girl in a sea of dudes (dead mom and all). I also think Aubrey Plaza is a tricky case, because her schtick can easily fall into the "girls are dumb, look how special I am" trap without another solid female character around her. This movie made me miss Leslie Knope (as if that is a weird thing- am I allowed to say one of the reasons I love Parks and rec is because it is one of the best tv shows for female characters ever?).  She is a cool character, we are clearly supposed to identify with her regardless of our gender, and it is a nice little sci-fi love story. So all in all, not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment