Saturday, January 12, 2013

Mangy Rabble

I have withdrawn my complaint that Mulan only succeeds in elevating its female lead by surrounding her with male characters who are all idiots. It is better and more balanced than my memory gave it credit for.

But I do declare a trend. From the gruff army boobs of Mulan to the mangy rabbly outlaws in Tangled to the hilariously uncouth clansmen in Brave, we seem to have a formula. If the lead is a female, the comic relief must be men who are unkempt, uncouth, un-smart, and uncivilized (except, of course, that they all reveal a more cultured, civilized, sensitive side under prompting by that female lead).

Is this a thing? Does it mean something? Is there a counter-gender equivalent? Or have I got blinders on that are causing me to miss something?

No comments:

Post a Comment