Monday, June 21, 2010

More Movies

Ok, so I think you have redeemed Charlie's Angels in some ways, but in other ways, not so much. I am kind of convinced that the typical action film may just not have room for truly empowered or interesting female characters (I don't really think one key quirk gives a character a lot of depth).

The past week I have seen a few things, Bride and Prejudice, Avatar, and Toy Story 3. I think the only things that really struck me about Toy Story 3 (for our purposes) was how awesome Barbie and Jessie were, and that Andy's toys could so seemlessly and unquestionably be passed down to Bonnie. I mean, I thought it was the perfect Pixar. To them (and certainly other studios) content for boys (because EVERY SINGLE pixar movie is about becoming a man) should somehow perfectly graft on to girls. I wonder if it would have worked if the roles were reversed. I know you hate Mulan, but this is why I feel like if I had kids I would be sure to have that in our library. I don't want to raise girls thinking they are periphery boys. I love Pixar, but it is a real problem (and I know you are going to take exception to it, but come on! they have enough movies out now that we can't pretend it isn't a real trend).

On the other hand, I think James Cameron actually really likes telling stories about women. I think it's notable that the biggest star in Avatar is Sigourney Weaver. On the other hand, it is a story about a man becoming a man with the help of two women- one on both ends. But, I think I would add Dr. Augustine to the list of strong women. Neytiri, maybe? Have you actually seen this movie yet?

Ok, and on a side note, I love a good Jane Austen remake, and Bride and Prejudice is a good time, because it deals with East/West politics. It, of course, doesn't graft on perfectly, but it is super fun, offers a really cool take on the Elizabeth character, and has Sayid as one of the romantic leads. You can't go wrong, really. Pixar should do a Jane Austen redo!

No comments:

Post a Comment